Thursday, December 19, 2013

Uglies

I finally got my book club! This week we had a task to think of our own inquiry question. My group came up with, What pressure does society put on the characters in our book? I thought this really connected to my book Uglies. This is about a girl named Tally who lives in a place where they say when yiu turn 16 you become pretty. She already lost her best friend who had turn pretty 3 months ago. They separate the uglies who live in Uglieville and the pretties in New Pretty Town. Tally was all by herself when she met a new friend. Her new friend does not want to turn pretty but Tally wants to be. Society pressures the characters to do things they don't want to do. All in all we think that you should not let others influence your choices and make your own ones.
You can tell at the beginning of the book there is something that holds Tally back, being pretty. Tally has always dreamed of the day she turned 16 and she would have a beautiful face. When she meets her new friend she starts to realize that being pretty isn't because she wants to be but what she is forced to do. In the book it seems that she wants to be pretty but i think its something more. For example one reason why I thinks she wants to be pretty is to have her best friend back. He totally ditched her and the only way to have him back is to turn pretty. Another reason why she wants to be pretty is to fit in. Pretties have no respect for the uglies and that can really lower you selfestem.I don't think its all about the looks for Tally its about finding out where she stands.
This book really influences me. I think it teaches you that you dont have to do what others tell you to do but do what you want. I think it also teaches you that you should accept everyone because it doesn't matter what you look like. If I were Tally I would feel the same way. You want to fit in but in the end you just want to have something. I also find that alot in young adult fiction. The characters always want something. Don't let others influence you.

No comments:

Post a Comment